Tips on becoming a make-up artist ! ♡
*these are all my personal opinions. Remember I am NOT a professional, I am only infinitely passionate.
1. PRACTICE: Practice on yourself every single day. On friends, family and anyone else who lets you practice on them. Try practicing on people with different skin shades and skin types.
2. Watch YouTube Videos! Watching youtube has really helped me so much! Subscribe to people who are truly knowledgeable like gossmakeupartist, MissChievous, QueenofBlendingMUA, petrilude, pixiwoo, xsparkage, MakeupGeekTV and EnKoreMakeup. Youtube is an amazing tool and it’s FREE! Take advantage of it.
3. Study Magazines: Look at magazines and study the diffrent makeup styles and trends happeining right now and try to replicate them :)
4. Face Charts: These are used my makeup artist to quickly create a makeup look on paper. You can get templates off of the internet and print them on to water color paper. You can even go into MAC and if they are nice enough they will give you some face charts. You can put your facecharts in page protectors and keep them in a binder to be part of your portfolio.
5. Portfolio: Build up a makeup portfolio. Take pictures of everything you do. You can create a blog to make an online portfolio and also print out the pictures to keep in a binder. Your portfolio is proof of the work you can do. When your’re just starting you can just use a digital camera. But as you get more and more experience try to get anyone you know who does photography as a hobbie, to take pictures of your work. Get anyone you know who likes to take pictures and is photogenic to pose in them. No money should be involved. All parties will benefit from doing this by getting more experience and possibly a job.
6. Network: Networking is so so so important. Use things like tumblr, facebook, youtube to promote yourself. Post pictures of your work. Submit pictures on makeup blogs to gain popularity. Upload videos on youtube. Let everyone know that you want to be a makeup artist. DON’T BE SHY! Put your self out there. Make buissness cards to hand out to people. When you are just starting out offer your services for FREE. As you get more experience then you can begin charging.
7. Makeup Kit: When you’re starting off it may seem extremely overwhelming to go out and buy a bunch of makeup. Remember to start little by little. Invest in: BRUSHES, face and eye primers, foundations, setting sprays, concealer, and powders. DON’T spend too much on: blush, bronzer, eyeliner, mascara, fake lashes, lipstick and lipgloss.
8. Makeup Schools: Personally I have never had any formal training. I can not say that any school is good or bad. But many schools like Marinello school of beauty will make false promises that you will become an amazing makeup artist. Truth is schools like this are COSMETOLOGY schools. Here they will teach you about hair, nails, skin care and a little bit of makeup. Make sure to do A LOT of reaserch if you plan on attending a certain makeup school. It would be a shame to spend thousands of dollars and TIME on a course that will only give you a certificate. If being certified/licensed is the only reason youre attending a school then you might as well just print a certificate from your home printer. REMEMBER you DO NOT have to be certified to be a makeup artist. Don’t ever let that stop you!!!!!!
9. Haters: As you start to get recognition for your makeup, haters come along with it. In my case it has mainly been GUYS who have hated on me because of makeup. But weather it’s a girl or boy don’t let them phase you. Remember that you are doing this for yourself. Let them be your motivators. For me I always remind my self that those people are jealous that at such a young age I have started my own business and I can make 35 dollars an hour doing something I LOVE while they are stuck in their 9-5 job getting minimum wage hating their lives. When you become sucesful those people will not matter. You will have the last laugh at the end on the day :DD
10. Passion: Remember you can practice for hours, spend thousands of dollars on makeup classes, buy the most expensive makeup but if you are not truly PASSIONATE about makeup you will get now where. Please don’t just say you want to be a makeup artitst because it looks “fun” or because everyone seems to be doing it or you want to be like youtube gurus or just work at MAC because its cool. This is an OFFENSE to those who truly love makeup. You can pay for classes but you will never be able to buy PASSION <3
P.S. Always stay humble and share your knowledge to those who need it :)
Definitely emphasize on the “Haters” part! Not everyone will appreciate the art of makeup much less understand it. They’re just ignorant and jealous, that’s all. Show em what you’re passionate about!